Today was Pajama Day at school for The Monkey. She asked me to make her some new jammies to wear, so when we went to JoAnn’s last week, I looked for some snuggly soft fleece to use for the pants. Her school mascot is the Jaguar, so we found some Animal print fleece to use to make her both pants, and then I decided to applique a t-shirt for her to wear with the pants.
I used this tutorial to make her pants from an existing pair of fleece pants she owned. They turned out great and only took about an hour from start to finish.
For the shirt, I made a quick copy of the logo and scaled it in Word, then printed it in black and white on my printer. I laid the t-shirt down on my cutting mat, laid the fleece on top of it, and then the paper with the logo. I used some pins to pin all three layers together, and then I put the whole thing under the needle in my sewing machine. I stitched around the outside of the logo, through the paper, fleece, and top layer of the t-shirt. Then I removed the pins, spritzed the paper with water, and tore it away from the fleece. I took my scissors to cut carefully around the stitching, just through the fleece. Because I used fleece, there wasn’t any worry of the fabric fraying, so you can just use a straight stitch, no need to catch the edge in a zig-zag like you do with traditional applique.
I had her try everything on before she went to bed, hemmed the pants, and then I thought she might like a little something to go in her hair.
So, I took a 24″ x 3″ strip of fleece left over from the jammies, and ran a running stitch along the bottom, gathering it into a circle. Once it was gathered into a circle, I did the same with a 24″ strip of ribbon from a spool I picked up at the dollar store. I stitched that down onto the fleece gathered circle and then looked for something I could use in the center. I originally was going to use a button, but after going through my stash – I didn’t have any buttons! Ha! What I did find in my little box I use to gather random trinkets I find around the house was a junky little plastic-painted-silver adjustable ring. The kind you’d get from a quarter machine. I used my scissors to snip off the ring portion, and then hot glued it into the center of the flower I was building.
I flipped the whole thing over, and hot glued an alligator clip onto the back and secured it with a couple of additional stitches, “just in case.” I think it turned out great, and she was really happy this morning to have a little something extra to go with her new jammies!
I loved how this project came out, and this year, I’ll be making her Christmas jammies, so having a little practice-run was a nice confidence boost. I’m ready to do this again!